Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hello World!

So there I was, half dressed and nearly out of breath when I received an invitation to blog for a purpose other than providing an outlet for my semi-coherent thoughts and early twenty-something optimism during my five years of college. A delightful sounding intern (the term denotes "bottom of the pole”, something I am quite familiar with) called me during my transition from work to class. The thing is I have exactly thirty minutes to traverse town, change clothes from business casual to college formal, gather books, and inhale something to eat all while being cross-town fast enough to meet my fiancée in time to walk to class.

Here's the general gist of the conversation I had with the lovely folks at Experience.com while I was in mid-dress and attempting to make it to class.

"Blog for Digg experience, eh?"

"That's right, at the end of the contest whoever has the most blog readers will earn a trip to go to San Francisco to job shadow for a day at Digg.com." said Ally.

"Hmm.... and I don't have to refinance my mortgage or look at exciting opportunities in real estate while I'm out there do I?"

"No, we just want you to write about your interest in technology and your attempts to find a job in the industry and we'll send you to California if your blog is the most popular at the end of 20 days."

"Hey, as long as I don't walk into a room with a group of med students waiting to extract my kidneys I'm up for it. Oh, by the way … does it matter that I'm an Ag student and I'm not from the West or East Coast? Plus, I've never been to, around, or near Silicon Valley."

"No. We're actually looking for someone with a different perspective and would like to either start their own business or work in technology and your thoughts on technology and agriculture and law are very interesting."


"Sounds like an opportunity to me. I'm in."

And thus our adventure begins. Over the next 20 days I am going to do my best to convince you, random blog reader at a medium to large sized dot.com or tech company that I am worthy of hire. Would I love to go to San Francisco and meet Kevin Rose? You bet I would! Would I love to kick back, play some hacky sack and drink some Red Bull with the man that is helping to define Web 2.0? You bet I would. And would I try to give him my thoughts on how we can turn user - driven content into a profitable business model all while keeping the integrity of the site and the content delivered intact? Absolutely! While these are romantic and rosy visions of my near future, they are just short - term goals. I am looking to marry a company and spend roughly fifteen to twenty years at least in one spot working my way through an entry level position and eventually move to the legal department.

So chaps, what is it going to be? Are you interested in someone that is looking to be in a company for an extended period of time that will give you twice as much as you invest in him? Am I the "marrying type"? Are you afraid of commitment and willing to turn this into a facsimile of so many Matthew McConaughey movies? Or will you pass me over for fancier fare that might seem like a lot of fun at first but is going to be a pain in the butt once you find out they have eyes for your best friend?

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Hally said...

You're funny. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home