Sunday, November 19, 2006

Console War Breaks Out - Nerds Rejoice!



I'll be the first to admit that I am not a gamer. The last game I even remotely played in any serious fashion was Tribes and that was only before class at OSSM. However, the new console wars have struck a chord with me. Maybe it is the inherent nerdiness of it all, or maybe its the nostalgia of getting my original NES (the only console I ever owned), but I've stayed glued to the release of the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360. So, here are my impressions from what has appeared to be the biggest fit of nerd hand slapping since Episode 1 was released.

XBOX 360

Here's what I can tell you about the XBOX 360 and their marketing.... not much. As a non-engaged-non-gamer I couldn't even tell you when this thing replaced the original Xbox but I can tell you that I most defiantly sucked when it came to trying to play Halo on the original console.

The release didn't stir up a whole lot of media attention or electricity in the blogosphere. This could have been a direct result of Microsoft's questionable reputation and their noted lack of marketing acumen.

What I can tell you is that this is probably the system that I am most likely to buy and here's why. However, if it weren't for the price breaks this would just be a small asterisk in the back of my mind as something that is going to try and beat Apple into the living room with their new box that streams video from the net.

PS3

Sony has taken a HUGE hit in the PR department. What, from the constant delays of the PS3, to the fight over blue ray, to the laptop battery fiasco, Sony was hurting when it came to consumer confidence and a relative lack of excitement when it came to the capabilities and rumors about the PS3. Now, it looks like the consumer reception to this next generation box that should have up to 10 years of playable life is flaming hot.

WII

How can you not love this little console? It has a controller that is a nunchuck, which I immediately relate back to my days of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles. The Wii almost looks like it was made from Apple which means that it is a clean and simple design and from the gameplay reviews that I've heard about, it works as well as anything coming out of Cupertino. But what really sold me on this console was the fact that the premium version will play DVDs. Suddenly, I can see myself working this one over with my fiancee' and actually convincing her that this is a good idea.

Molly: "But its a video game."

Clint: "Yeah, but it plays DVDs!"

Molly: "So, we already have a DVD player and we can ask for another one in the wedding registry if that one breaks."

Clint: "Yeah, but can it play MarioKart? Can it play virtual tennis? Can it keep me out of your hair for hours while you go shopping?"

Molly: "Sold."

True, the PS3 and the Xbox both have DVD playback but to be honest with you, they don't break the same kind of ground and offer the same general coolness factor the Wii does. If I had the money, I'd be investing in Nintendo this Christmas.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not how our conversation went.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home