Monday, November 20, 2006

Why do I want to work for a tech company?

I've been asked this by a number of people who have always known me as the guy who works for lawyers. To be honest, there isn't one really good answer for this, instead I have a whole range of experiences and skills that have turned me towards the most exciting industry I can imagine. With that, here is a summation of my ultimate goal.

About Me

I'm going to level with you, I'm a nerd. A huge nerd. But not the type of nerd that gets all excited and falls over forward in a ritual that resembles lost contact lenses when I hear about the awesome marketing and customer outreach that tech companies do. Why do I love this so? I mean, to a lot of people it is just a clever and cheeky way of touching your user but to me this is actually "GETTING IT"! Ever since I got interested in technology I have always harped about the end-user being the fountainhead of wisdom. The end-all and be-all of your product should be the guy sitting at the end of your supply chain tinkering with your product. And I don't mean just giving the customer a quality product, I want the customer to be able to take whatever it is that I helped to produce and set it free. Use our ideas to his or her own advantage and create something that nobody I work with would have imagined the product doing. Let the user become more incredible and creative than they could have ever imagined through your efforts.

Treating the Employee as a Valued Resource

For the last five years I have been lucky enough to work for two lawyers in Stillwater that have all but taken me in as their own son. They have worked with me through tests, grueling event planning schedules, projects and ideas for the office that failed and succeeded, and an entire semester of sleeping in my truck. And in return, I have worked my posterior off for these wonderful people, giving them as much as I possibly can in return for their kindness and respect. Now, I am ready to take this ethic and mentality into a larger office environment. While I don't expect the same type of attention and care that I am receiving now in a corporate environment, I am ecstatic about working for a company that has a clear directive that is aimed directly at making the user's life better. Plus, I would love to get my hands on bigger tasks and responsibilities and see the direct results follow through for the benefit of the company.

Environment

I've always been a HUGE proponent of attention to the office environment. This last summer I took on trying to renovate my office in Stillwater so the office would look as high class as the talent inside. From everything I've read about tech companies and their office environments, they are laid back with flexible hours but they require a lot of productivity for all this leniency. This is the perfect match for me because I am in top form when I am relaxed and not forced to wear clothes that are professional yet incredibly uncomfortable and given an even mildly stimulating environment to work in. I don't expect something crazy like this but being able to feel stimulated and relaxed while not having to suffer through second hand smoke would be amazing.

I Bring Something Amazing to the Table

How many potential employees have six years of experience in the legal field by the time they are 23? How many college grads have worked for two internationally known criminal lawyers and in Oklahoma's largest medical malpractice law firm? How many applicants have slept in the back of their truck for a semester, written for the school portal and started their own freelance web site company to help put them thought college?

I haven't taken the normal route through college. I've always worked, always been involved on campus, and always balanced it all with an active social life. I've been given responsibilities that were well beyond the realm of what a normal 21 year-old would or even should be given and I've succeeded beyond expectations. I can bring a wealth of insight and excitement that no other applicant in your pool can remotely begin to parallel.

If you have a position that you think I can absolutely immerse myself in and want me to blow your expectations out of the water then send me an email at clint (dot) james (at) gmail (dot) com.

10 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might help if you spelled your name correctly when listing your email address.

Just FYI...

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Clint said...

Thanks. I shouldn't have written that post so late at night.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Clint,

great blog site. Remind me and I will click on it again.

Good luck!

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wanna hear more about this sleeping in the truck business. -Whit

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Employment squirrel says you should update this bad boy.

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

write more about sleeping in the back of your truck for an entire semester. it's no fun to hear whining about the job search... in four months you'll have a job and even you'll be tired of your old blog entries and wonder what the big deal was. besides, don't you have like the next 40 years to find a job?

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must take an impressive individual to live in their truck for a semester. I hope you have the chance to go to SF, you will benefit greatly from that opportunity.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not very humble, but that's typical of geeks who have been told all their life that whatever they do is exceptional

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Clint said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Clint said...

To "Anonymous" I'm trying to sell myself here. While I stay humble outside of this blog, would you buy a car from a salesman who said, "Well, it has 250 horsepower but we could have done better. Oh, and there are two cupholders but that is probably the best feature."

Oh, and I'm not a geek, I'm a nerd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home